Friday, January 14, 2011

A New Habit

According to several websites on the internet it takes an average of 66 days to form a new habit.

Here is what I am going to do and I am bringing all 6 of my followers with me. I am going to form a new habit. What is it? Exercise. Why? Because I want to be healthier and be a good example to my kids.

I have realized lately that exercise has to be a part of my life. Not just a quick month or two to lose a few pounds but an actual part. This means that I have to form a habit of exercising.

Here is my plan. I have committed myself to exercising 6 days a week for 30-40 minutes a day (the Department of Health and Human Services suggests 30 minutes a day) alternating strength and cardio. I hate exercise but I will do this for at least the 66 days that is the average to form a habit. I started on January 4 (no this is not a New Years resolution. I don't believe in them) and I will be checking in periodically on my blog to let you know how I am doing.

Here is what I have done so far. As of January 4th I have worked out 10 times and have done a total of 400 crunches. I have also gone from barley being able to do 3 or 4 push-ups to doing 9. I know that might not sound like much but for me it is huge.

So, wish me luck. Keep an eye out for my updates and send me a message every now and then to keep me going.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh. I take this as a challenge. I have needed motivation to exercise as well. Maybe we can cheer each other on? I only started this week. I love my Firm videos ... Perfect balance between cardio and strength. Just as I'm bone weary from card we stop to do strengthening, then when I can lift another weight it's back to cardio. And the newer videos dont use the firm box like the old ones. I've always gotten results after 5-7 workouts. Anyway, I've done two videos this week ... I'll have to do one today and a long one tomorrow to catch up to you though. (videos range from 25-70 minutes). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete