Wednesday, September 22, 2010

WHAT?! No Apple Orchards?

I was shocked when I found out that we do not have apple orchards up here. Something about the growing season being too short or something. I wasn't sure how I was going to get through the fall without my apple orchard and hay ride fix.

So, here is what we do in the Red River Valley in the fall. We visit the Polk County Museum and the Sugar Beet Museum. I didn't get my bag of apples but I did get a ride on a trailer pulled by a tractor (kind of like a hay ride) to watch a demonstration of beet harvesting. It actually was pretty cool.

Me, Kelly and the kids on the "Beet Harvest Demo Ride". No, Ada does not have allergies or anything. She was just being Ada.


At the Sugar Beet Museum they also had a threshing show. They had an old steam tractor that ran the thresher to demonstrate how they did it many years ago. I did not get any pictures of that but Emily was kind enough to give us a little demonstration of her own.



No comments:

Post a Comment